British Council is seeking a British or UK-based curator to create and co-produce the next edition of its online-only platform for supporting creativity in digital art, PlayUK. With a focus on new work, proposals should come from individuals or collectives for a programme to showcase, exchange knowledge and share new practices in the process of game-making that connects UK and Western Balkan creatives.
All events of this edition of PlayUK will take place online and consist of:
- Bi-weekly online workshops and talks: developing creative, technical and business skills appropriate for indie games and smaller teams from October 2020 to April 2021
- Online conference and showcase: profiling new work and practitioners in an inventive and engaging online format
- Mentorship programme: supporting practitioners and small studios from the games development community in Western Balkans until end of March 2021
The appointed curator will:
- Design and curate a talks programme as a comprehensive learning journey
- Agree topics, engage and enable contact with speakers
- Design an online conference and showcase (date TBC before 31 March 2021);
- Design and implement a 10-hour consultation and mentorship programme for each of the 10 projects in development from Western Balkans/Wider Europe with UK mentors.
The selected curator will receive a £20,000 curator’s fee. British Council will also provide:
- Contracting and fees for the speakers (£500) and mentors (£2,500)
- Technical support for implementation of online programmes
- Access to Western Balkans network of speakers and professionals to complement the UK speaker programme of the conference
Deadline for proposals is 10am BST, Monday 28 September 2020. Read more here.
All proposals or questions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your proposal should be three pages (maximum) and include:
- Introduction to yourself/your collective and relevant experience (max 500 words)
- Your outline response and approach to developing the programme, including:
- Talks & conference – your approach for structuring online programming and main areas of focus (eg. any key example speakers or topics)
- Online showcase – your vision and ambition inc. any key example work
- Mentorship – approach for shaping a 6-month learning journey
All proposals will be treated as confidential with the IP of unsuccessful applications remaining with the applicant.