The Royal Dock's annual celebration of culture and creativity - Join the Docks - is now open for creative submissions for autumn 2020 and spring 2021.
Taking place across the 4km stretch of London’s historic Royal Docks, organisers want to collaborate with artists, organisations, and local collectives to create activities that explore the people, heritage, and places of the Royal Docks.
- Join the Docks Autumn Programme phase 1 will run from September till December 2020, funding innovative projects taking place online and in person in the Royal Docks in ways that adhere to the current Government COVID-19 social distancing guidance.
- Join the Docks Festival phase 2 will be a follow up 10-day live celebration in the Royal Docks in February 2021, dependent on COVID-19 social distancing guidance.
Phase 1 applications
Projects for the autumn programme, including research and development commissions, will focus on innovative creative ideas, and imaginative projects that focus on the Royal Docks, with particular interest in skills sharing and collaboration.
The organisers ask you to think about how the Royal Docks can be used as your creative playground and to connect with local people as audiences or participants.
Apply for the following grants:
- Small: £500 - £5,000
- Medium: £5,000 - £14,000
- Research and development commissions: £5,000 - £14,000
Download the full prospectus here. Apply by 6pm on 23 August 2020.
Six tips for starting your application
- Show how your project will be a really creative and exciting idea and how it engages directly with the people or place of the Royal Docks.
- Be mindful of your audience, highlight how your project will be accessible, environmentally sustainable and inclusive to a diverse London-wide audience.
- Consider how your idea exists within the current COVID-19 social distancing rules.
- Social media, radio, live streams, digital events and web screenings might be a clever way to work around the current constraints we face with hosting events.
- Think about the collective, how will this project support communities in the Royal Docks and Newham to showcase local talent, express their creativity and support their wellbeing.
- Remember that your event must be free to attend or low cost to all attendees.
Groundwork are managing the applications on behalf of the Royal Docks Team.