British Council is offering a two-week residency in Japan to five chosen UK-based artists as part of the UK in Japan 2019-20 season. The residency will take place over two weeks from 5-18 October 2019.
Download application details here. Deadline for applications is 7 May at 4pm. Follow all instructions to be considered for the residency. Summary of the residency is included below.
- Be individual artists and creative practitioners based in the UK
- Have substantial professional experience
- Be established in their field and demonstrate interest in engaging with Japanese culture and artists
Successful applicants will:
- visit hidden areas of Ise City not open to the general public
- travel to other cultural heritage sites and meet Shinto priests, craft makers, local residents and artists
- observe the sacred annual ritual of Kanname-sai
Artists will be asked to document their experience to share upon return to the UK. The trip is intended to provide inspiration, and avenues for future collaboration between UK and Japanese artists.
Included in the residency is:
- Premium economy flights and local transportation
- Travel insurance
- 2 weeks accommodation
- Honorarium of £2000 for the residency
- English/Japanese translation
- Advice and support from the British Council
- Access costs and support
Sunrise at Ujibashi Bride, Ise Shrine / Image: British Council