Edinburgh International Festival, taking place 2–26 August, has revealed its full 2019 lineup which includes Stephen Fry, LA Philharmonic, Kate Tempest, and the world premiere of Scottish Ballet's The Crucible.
The annual festival covers arts and culture from all over the world, including opera, classical and contemporary music, dance, immersive and traditional theatre.
Highlights of the programme include:
- Royal Scottish National Orchestra and Sir Andrew Davis – Götterdämmerung
- Opera Ventures and Scottish Opera – Breaking the Waves (European premiere of this Lars Von Trier adaptation)
- Donald Runnicles conducts Deutsche Oper Berlin – Manon Lescaut
- Stephen Fry – Mythos: Gods, Heroes, Men (a trilogy adapted from Fry's bestselling book)
- Ian McKellan – On Stage (McKellan's current solo stage show)
- 1927 – Roots (European premiere)
- Tim Crouch / National Theatre of Scotland – Total Immediate Collective Imminent Terrestrial Salvation
- National Theatre of Scotland / HOME – Red Dust Road
- Scottish Ballet – The Crucible (world premiere)
- Birds of Paradise Theatre Company – Purposeless Movements
- Faso Dance Théâtre – Kalakuta Republik
- LA Philharmonic – Residencies including Aberdeen Standard Investments Opening Event and launching the Usher Hall Series
- London Symphony Orchestra – Sir Simon Rattle conducts Adams and Rachmaninov
- Scottish Chamber Orchestra – West Side Story and Virgin Money Fireworks Concert
- Orchestre de Paris – Britten's War Requiem / Berlioz and Beethoven
- BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra – MacMillan Scottish Premieres / Mahler and Shostakovich
- Royal Scottish National Orchestra – Strauss and MacMillan
- Kate Tempest
- Sharon Van Etten
- Amadou + Mariam and The Blind Boys of Alabama
- Teenage Fanclub
- Neneh Cherry
- Jarvis Cocker Presents JARV IS
- Anna Calvi
- Connan Mockasin
The full programme can be viewed here.
Meanwhile, Edinburgh Festival Fringe – the world's largest arts festival – has released three batches of its huge variety of acts across comedy, cabaret, dance, music, spoken word and more. Read more about the programme here.
Also, the British Council's Edinburgh Showcase 2019 will be revealed soon. Prospective delegates may register this month when the delegate portal opens. More information here.