March sees UK innovation take centre stage as the Culture Diary, GREAT Britain Campaign, Department for International Trade (DIT), Arts Council England (ACE) and British Underground bring some of our culture and creative industries' leading and pioneering talents to huge international platforms.
Presented by Arts Council England and British Underground, their SXSW 2018 programme 'Future Art and Culture' will showcase new creative work from the UK that blurs the boundaries of art and technology as well as providing panel discussions on digital innovation in the arts, live performances, and large-scale installations. Highlights include:
- interactive augmented reality 'A Colossal Wave' from Marshmallow Laser Feast
- a 360 degree VR performance by Philharmonia Orchestra
- Brave New World: The Future of Theatre & Tech – discussion about the impact of future tech on theatre, led by Royal Shakespeare Company
- Exploring Music through the Lens of Neurodiversity – panel featuring London musicians The Fish Police, and Heart n Soul a creative arts company who keep learning disabilities at the centre of their work
The British Music Embassy will return to SXSW for its 11th year, with outstanding official showcases taking place in partnership with Association of Independent Music (AIM), BBC Music, DIT, Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) and Performing Right Society (PRS) for Music.
UK musicians playing SXSW this year include Frank Turner, Soweto Kinch, IDLES, The Fish Police, Yungen, Will Varley, Nubya Garcia, The RPMs, Superorganism, Non Canon and LYLO among many more. A full list can be found in the UK at SXSW brochure (link below).
More UK at SXSW programme highlights:
- Innovating immersive theatre company Punchdrunk talk about their educational mixed reality project 'The Oracles' (Friday 9 March 3.30–4.40pm at Austin Convention Center) - more here
- Immersive Experiences Brunch: Networking VR/AR/XR Creatives (Tuesday 13 March 10am–12.30pm at British Music Embassy, Latitude 30) – RSVP here
- The Live Score - panel including Portishead's Adrian Utley and Stuart Brown, Head of Programme & Acquisitions at BFI about bridging the gaps between the music, film and video game fields and future collaboration (Tuesday 13 March 2–3pm at Austin Convention Center, Room 15) – read more
- Will AI Change the Future of Creativity? – an art and AI roundtable debate the future of creativity (Wednesday 14 March) – more details
- How AI Will Change the Music Industry – music experts discuss the influence of future technology on the music business (Friday 16 March 2–3pm at Austin Convention Center, Room 17B) – more info
The UK at SXSW DIT stand (No 1109) will be open 12–13 March at the Austin Convention Centre and the scheduled showcases include:
Tuesday 12 March
- 11:00am - 11:15am Marshmallow Laserfeast Showcase
- 12:00pm – 12:15pm Punchdrunk Showcase
- 1:00pm – 1:15pm Dear Esther Showcase
- 3:00pm – 3:15pm Factory 42 Showcase
- 4:00pm- 4:15pm Igloo Vision Showcase
Wednesday 13 March
- 11:00am - 11:15am Userfarm Showcase
- 12:00pm – 12:15pm Decibel Insight Showcase
- 1:00pm– 1:15pm KYMIRA Sport Showcase
- 4:00pm- 4:15pm Zappar Showcase
- 5:00pm – 5:15pm HeartnSoul / Dean Rodney Showcase
Follow all the activity on social media with the hashtag #UKatSXSW.
More information can be found in the Department for International Trade's UK at SXSW brochure (download below).
Image: Marshmallow Laser Feast – A Colossal Wave, one of the art-tech experiences at SXSW. See it at the Austin Covention Centre between 9–17 March 2018.