The Department of Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) has published performance indicators for its 15 sponsored museums in 2017/18.
The key findings are:
- Visits to DCMS-sponsored museums are roughly the same as last year, with Tate Galleries, British Museum and Science Museum Group in the top three attended.
- There was an 8.6% increase in visits to museums by children.
- A small increase (1.4%) in overseas visitors to museums, with the Royal Armouries, National Gallery and British Museums in the top 3. Imperial War Museums reached a record 1 million overseas visitors for their museums.
- 7.5 million people visited regional museums (outside of London), a 10% rise on 2016/17.
- Unfortunately, self-generated income for these museums decreased by 8.3% to £271 million across all 15 museums.
DMCS sponsors the following museums:
- British Museum
- Geffrye Museum
- Horniman Museum
- Imperial War Museums
- National Gallery
- National Museums Liverpool
- National Portrait Gallery
- Natural History Museum
- Royal Armouries
- Royal Museums Greenwich
- Science Museum Group
- Sir John Soane's Museum
- Tate Gallery Group
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- The Wallace Collection
National Museum Liverpool, one of the DCMS-sponsored museums / Image: Ant Clausen