Manchester International Festival will take over the city centre of one of the UK's most creative and inspiring places with a vast programme of the best in UK and international arts, collaboration and curation.
The lineup, which takes place 4-23 July, is a daring selection of diverse works, including world premieres and unique collaborations.
Manchester International Festival produces new work at its biennial festival which often goes on to tour the world. A recent example is Studio Wayne McGregor's Tree of Codes from MIF 2015 currently being performed in France in collaboration with the Paris Opera Ballet, in a production with a soundscape by Jamie xx and a mirror set crafted by Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson.
Manchester International Festival 2019 lineup highlights
- 29 June - 13 July: 'Tree' by Idris Elba & Kwame Kwei-Armah @ Upper Campfield Market Hall
- 4 July: 'BELLS FOR PEACE' by Yoko Ono @ Cathedral Gardens
- 5-20 July: World Premiere - Tania Bruguera 'School of Integration' @ Manchester Art Gallery
- 5-21 July: Ibraham Mahama’s 'Parliament of Ghosts' @ The Whitworth
- 6-21 July: David Lynch at HOME - 'My Head Is DIsconnected'
- 6-21 July: World Premiere - Rafael Lozano-Hemmer ‘Atmospheric Memory’ @ Science and Industry Museum
- 10-21 July: The Nico Project (produced by MIF, co-commissioned with Royal Court Theatre and Melbourne International Art Festival) @ The Stoller Hall
- 11 July: Halle presents ‘Leningrad’ @ The Bridgewater Hall
- 12-14 July: Studio Créole @ Manchester Academy
- 13 July: These New Puritans + support (part of David Lynch programme) @ HOME
- 17-19 July: DYSTOPIA987 (Skepta) @ Secret location
There's much more to see from the programme, and it is just one example of the high standard of cross-continental collaboration and curated programmes from UK organisations through many disciplines. Other examples over the summer include:
- Now–29 Sep 2019 – Yorkshire Sculpture International @ Leeds and Wakefield
- Now–29 Sep 2019 – Shakespeare's Globe on Tour (trio of plays) @ UK, Austria, Norway, Singapore, Hong Kong
- 13 Jul–21 Oct 2019 – MOSTYN Open 21 (visual arts) @ Llandudno, UK
- 20–21 Jul 2019 – Liverpool International Music Festival @ Liverpool, UK
- 26–28 Jul 2019 – Hackney WickED DIY Open Studios 2019 @ London, UK
Keep adding your leading lineups to the Culture Diary so we can showcase them on the website, through social media and in our monthly newsletters to the sector and government!
Skepta, Manchester International Festival 2019. Image: Olivia Rose