The Mayor of London has designated Walthamstow High Street the first Night-Time Enterprise Zone for the pilot scheme from October 2019 to January 2020. The pilot will see Waltham Forest try a range of proposals for its high street.
Based on research from residents and business-owners in the area, the Night-Time Enterprise Zone will include:
- Premises to test out new evening enterprises in a low-cost, flexible environment
- A guide to planning and licensing for businesses offering evening and night-time activities
- Small fund for existing businesses and community organisations to help cover costs of facilities for hosting evening activities
- Crowdsourcing a printed and online map and event listing
- A ‘shop local late’ campaign to encourage residents to support their independent businesses and encourage retailers to extend their operational times
- A 'reclaim your high street' event to test out an alternative use of the high street in the evening
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "Our high streets are at the very heart of our communities, but in recent years we have seen them struggling under significant pressures. By working together to encourage longer opening hours and host innovative events after 6pm, this pilot in Walthamstow will be a real opportunity to develop the ideas that can boost our high streets and help realise our vision for a 24-hour city."
Night Czar Amy Lamé and Leader of Waltham Forest, Councillor Clare Coghill on Walthamstow High Street / Image: Mayor of London