Turner Contemporary is inviting applications from Black and Disabled artists for two new digital commissions. An award of £3000 will be made to each selected artist for the creation and production of a new digital artwork.
There will be three commissions which will form a central part of Turner Contemporary’s public programme while the Hastings gallery is closed. The first is for Black artists, the second is for Disabled artists and the third is for artists from Thanet.
The new digital artworks will be shared with audiences online in the autumn via the Turner Contemporary website and digital channels. This opportunity is open to artists already working digitally as well as those new to digital media.
- The commission can be on any theme and in any genre (for example video, sound, animation or performance).
- Turner Contemporary is particularly interested in work that speaks to the contemporary moment.
- Turner Contemporary welcomes submissions that demonstrate a creative, questioning and playful approach.
- The artwork must be created specifically to be experienced online and explore innovative and ambitious ways of using digital media to engage and connect with audiences.
- Turner Contemporary is looking for proposals that demonstrate a consideration of audiences and how they will engage with the work.
The artist will be supported by members of the Turner Contemporary exhibitions, learning and communications teams to develop and present the artwork. The artwork will be showcased on Turner Contemporary’s website and promoted widely through our online channels.
There is a small additional budget for digital expertise and advice. However, Turner Contemporary encourages the artist to include any direct technical expenditure required to realise the artwork within the award budget.
Applicants should send:
- A completed application form in PDF form or Word, which can be downloaded here.
- A current CV
- Up to 8 images or 4 video files that support your application. You may like to send these separately using a file sharing platform (ie. Dropbox or WeTransfer)
- A completed equal opportunities form which will be separated from your application form and used for monitoring purposes only.
Closing date for applications: 2nd September 2020, midnight
For application and supporting documents, selection process and more go to the Turner Contemporary website:
The commissions are open to Black and Disabled, UK-based visual artists practicing in any media at all stages of their careers. Turner Contemporary is not able to accept applications from artists living outside the UK or those undertaking an undergraduate course.
If you are eligible for more than one of these opportunities you can submit the same or different application to any of these open calls.