With World Cup Rugby at fever pitch for England fans, all eyes are on Japan for its upcoming sports and cultural events. British Council is leading on the UK in JAPAN 19–20 season, a year-long programme of cultural and education-focused events and activities in both Japan and the UK which provides opportunities for British and Japanese organisations.
UK in JAPAN 2019-20 is an ambitious joint initiative by the British Council and the British Embassy Tokyo highlighting the breadth of the UK relationship with Japan, from culture to business. Starting from the Rugby World Cup in September 2019 and running through to the end of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in September 2020, UK in JAPAN 2019-20 presents a once-in-a-generation opportunity to deepen the close bonds between Japan and the UK.
Key events taking place in Japan include (list updated as more events are added):
- 30 Oct 2019 – 4 November 2019 BBC Proms Japan 2019
- 12 October 2019 – 26 January 2020 The Burrell Collection: A Voyage to Impressionism
- 10 September 2019 – 21 June 2020 Masterpieces of Impressonism: The Courtauld Collection
- 23–29 January 2020 Philharmonia Orchestra tour
- 3 March 2020 – 18 October 2020 Masterpieces from the National Gallery
British Council is also seeking applications for their Affiliate Programme, which expands on the core programme by officially recognising activity fitting the correct criteria. Find out more about adding your activity to the UK-JAPAN 2019-20 Affiliate Programme here.
Keep checking the Culture Diary for more events and information on the UK-JAPAN 2019–20 season.
Sunrise at Ujibashi Bridge, Ise Shrine / Image: Jingushicho (Jingu Administration Office)