A number of performing arts organisations, artists and practitioners have conducted live streams, posted recorded shows or are creating new work for the online space. These are available to anyone with an internet connection and the list below represents what the Culture Diary team has found or been notified about. This is an ongoing list.
Find digital and live stream events uploaded to the Culture Diary by date in our Culture From the Couch list here.
All Culture Diary members can upload online / digital events for inclusion in the list by adding the tags 'Culture from the Couch', 'COVID-19' and 'Coronavirus' to their events. Upload events here.
Theatre, Dance, FILM, Visual Arts
- 14/48 WFH (Attenborough Arts Centre, Leciester) - The "World's Quickest Theatre Festival", originating in Seattle in 1997, will go online with a weekly team of eight artists producing two new five-minute solo/duo pieces. Themes chosen by the public and artists are picked every Saturday at 8pm with pieces streamed on Facebook every Tuesday at 8pm.
- British Council - A 2019 international digital art collaboration between UK and African artists is now available to explore in an online exhibition named ColabNowNow. Although BFI's annual Flare festival being cancelled is really disappointing, British Council's Five Films For Freedom are now available to view for free. These support worldwide LGBTIQ+ rights.
- Bubble - Bubble is a play set entirely on Facebook which uses a cast of European actors who have rehearsed exclusively over Skype and filmed on their own cameras. Theatre Uncut will release the production online on 24 March.
- Cheek by Jowl / The Space - Watch the full stream of The Winter's Tale from 2017 right now.
- Chichester Festival Theatre - For the first time, Chichester Festival Theatre is streaming archive productions, starting with Flowers for Mrs Harris from 9 April for a month.
- Company Wayne McGregor - Watch a full performance of 'Atomos' here.
- Gecko - The physical theatre-makers have uploaded a number of shows to their YouTube to watch for free.
- Graeae - As ever championing and cultivating the work of D/deaf and disabled artists, Graeae has launched 'Crips Without Constraints: A Play, A Podcast, A Picture', a weekly digital programme starting 20 Aril for 11 weeks. More details here.
- HOME at home - Manchester's HOME has teamed with MUBI and Curzon to offer its members free and discounted access to films they would usually be showing. Read more on the offers here.
- JAMS - A Oxford Samuel Beckett Theatre Trust Award show at the Pit, Barbican, sees four actors trying to recreate a play they remember being in - watch Marathon here.
- LIVR - For those of you with access to a smartphone, LIVR is a subscription service that delivers 360-degree virtual reality theatre. They send you a headset which you can connect your smartphone to, and then experience a range of theatre experiences from the comfort of your home.
- Manchester International Festival - The biennial festival has launched MIF LIVE, a weekly programme of digital content both from the live archives and new commissions. More here.
- Motionhouse - Dance-theatre company Motionhouse is sharing its Earth Trilogy for the first time via its YouTube channel until the end of April. The first part is up now, with parts two and three out at 7pm on 3 April and 10 April respectively.
- National Theatre - From 2 April, National Theatre at Home will broadcast live streams every Thursday at 7pm of previous productions and will be available for 7 days before the next broadcast. Shows for May and June include Barber Shop Chronicles, A Streetcar Named Desire, This House and Coriolanus.
- The New York Metropolitan Opera - There are free streams each night at 7:30pm EST. They will show an opera performance which will be available for 20 hours after the broadcast. This includes classics like Carmen, La Boheme and Lucia di Lammermoor.
- Northern Ballet - A full digital programme dubbed 'Pay as you Feel' has been announced here.
- Operavision- Operavision gives you the chance to stream opera performances online.
- The Other Palace - Off-West End theatre The Other Palace is streaming two of its musical productions for free: MYTH and Eugenius!
- Rifco Theatre - Mushy: Lyrically Speaking is a musical based on the true story of Mushy Asghar (Educating Yorkshire) a boy with a debilitating stammer who finds himself at the centre of a television documentary and finds his voice through music.
- Rosie Kay’s 5 Soldiers: The Body is the Frontline - This was originally staged in army drill halls around the UK and was filmed for a live stream available here. Performing in close quarters to a score that mixes punk and opera, the horrors of war are expressed through movement and music.
- Royal Court - On Friday 27 March, for World Theatre Day the Royal Court will release an of David Ireland’s Cyprus Avenue. The film mixes the drama shot at the Royal Court with location scenes of Belfast.
- Royal Opera House - Now that the ROH is closed, they are streaming past and live broadcasts of performances and other opera-related content for free from its YouTube and Facebook pages. Read more on what's being broadcast here. Here's a YouTube playlist of #OurHouseToYourHouse.
- Royal Shakespeare Company - The RSC has 17 productions available on Marquee TV (currently offering 30-day free trials) while BBC iPlayer will broadcast six previous productions as part of the BBC Culture in Quarantine progamme. #AlmostLiveFromtheRSC
- Sadler's Wells - Launching their new 'Digital Stage', Sadler's Wells starts their online programme with a premiere of Deluxe by BalletBoyz on Friday 27 March and available for a month. More info here.
- Shakespeare's Globe - Six full productions, the full Globe to Globe 2012 programme and the Complete Walk films are / will be available for free via Globe Player during lockdown from 6 April 2020. BBC iPlayer also has two productions available, while this year's Macbeth for school-age people is available until schools reopen.
- Showstopper! The Improvised Musical - following the West End closure, the Showstopper cast and crew live-streamed a performance of their unique improvised musical on Facebook.
- Since U Been Gone - London's Bunker Theatre has had to cancel its Trans Take Over as part of their Power Share season. But you can watch their musical fringe hit Since U Been Gone, about losing loved ones and finding your own voice.
- Signal / The Bonfire - Watch artist-driven musical theatre recorded at Signal nights hosted by The Bonfire.
- Soho Theatre / National Theatre Live - Fleabag Live is being streamed with proceeds going to NHS-related charities. Stream on the SohoTheatre site from 6 April, and on Amazon Prime from 10 April
- Stay At Home Festival - The Cosmic Shambles network has organised daily streams for its Stay At Home Festival with appearanced by Paul Ince, Josie Long, Mark Gatiss, Jo Brand, Stephen Merchant and more.
- Storyhouse - Chester’s Storyhouse has partnered with MUBI and Curzon Home Cinema to offer its community free and discounted access to films they would usually be showing. They are also offering a programme of children’s stories read by their acting alumni released daily at 4pm via their Twitter from their homes.
- Theatre Royal Bath - The Theatre Royal Bath's family venue 'the egg' may be closed but little ones can enjoy a snuggly half an hour with the Snow Mouse.
- Waltham Forest - Waltham Forest is working with William Morris Galleries for its Virtual Culture Programme
- The Wind in the Willows - One for families, this long-running West End show is up here for free. Just regsiter and consider donating to their suggested theatre charities before watching.
- British Music Embassy Sessions - PRS for Music has gathered UK artists unable to play the cancelled SXSW festival for the British Music Embassy sessions. More info here including links to live performances.
- Coronavision - Missing the build-up to Eurovision? Well, now you can participate i the hype around the online alternative, Coronavision, which will see a selection of original songs written especially for this contest compete to be chosen for broadcast via Facebook Live on 16 May. The idea comes from East London artist Richard DeDeomenici. More here.
- Doc'n Roll TV - Doc'n Roll Festival, the annual UK touring music film festival, has created a pay-per-view platform for an esoteric and fascinating collection of music documentaries called Doc'n Roll TV. Watch 17 different documentaries here.
- Grace Petrie - Folk songwriter is did an A-Z of covers daily on Facebook with her housemate Ben. A live run through of all of them takes place Friday 15 May.
- Independent Music Love - Frank Turner performed a Facebook Live stream show on 17 March, the day after his remaining tour date were cancelled. Streamed from his house, he used the show to fundraise for his touring crew and support acts (which is still open for donations). He is now doing the same to raise funds for independent UK venues with live streamed album shows from his home under the banner Independent Music Love. He has moved the gigs to YouTube too.
- Isolate / Create - A creative project where bands offer digital parts from some of their songs to be reinterpreted by musicians at home. Find the multitrack stems here. Created by heavy maverick art-rock band The Armed, it contains music from Chelsea Wolf, Converge, La Dispute, Pelican, and The Armed with more to come.
- Isolate Live - Isolate Live is a Facebook page that is organising online streamed concerts from up-and-coming artists with full support bills. Access is free with the option to donate towards the musicians playing. The first show is on Thursday 19 March at 7pm (GMT).
- Liverpool Sound City - In lieu of the annual May festival for new music, Sound City has created Guest House. THis online platform is subscription-based and will broadcast a programme of live music while venues are closed.
- London Community Gospel Choir - After touring the Netherlands in December 2019 and performing with Holland Baroque, London Community Gospel Choir has released a video recording of one of their joint concerts.
- London Symphony Orchestra - As the LSO are "always playing", they are streaming free performances from previous concerts on their YouTube channel. The current programme is here.
- Royal Albert Hall - An ongoing series of live streams, from artists homes to you, via the Royal Albert Home programme.
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - The RPO musicians are finding ways to entertain from home by performing via YouTube. The RPO, with Google Arts & Culture, YouTube and in association with the Southbank Centre, will also be launching the online premiere of EIn Heldenleben, conducted by Vasily Petrenko and recorded at Royal Festival Hall in October 2019. Watch on Wednesday 8 Apil at 4pm (BST).
- Scottish Ensemble - Watch a fascinating documentary on the creation of Anno, a collaboraiton between Scottish Ensemble and composer Anna Meredith.
- Sofa Singers - join an at-home choir you can either sing with or enjoy through streaming
Visual Arts & MUSEUMs
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery - A new artwork by satirical collage artist Cold War Steve celebrating Birmingham, and using artworks from the museum and art gallery, has been released online.
- Manchester Museum - Manchester Museum in Quarantine provides set of exhibtions and displays from the museum, as well as resources for learning and carers
- Tate - Tate is now giving special online video tours of their recent exhbitions including Andy Warhol which had to close early due to COVID-19.
- Whitechapel Gallery - Whitechapel Gallery is streaming a film from its Artists' Film International programme every Monday on its website blog, each film dealing with language globally.
- Berlin Philharmonic online shows - The Berlin Philharmonic is giving free access to its online Digital Concert Hall for one month.
- Defected Virtual house music festival - Defected Records is broadcasting 12 hours of house music for its Defected Virtual Festival on Friday 20 March from 12pm.
- Hampstead Theatre - The North London theatre had a weekly programme of streamed productions from its YouTube channel. Keep an eye on the website for more streams.