A number of performing arts organisations, artists and practitioners have conducted live streams, posted recorded shows or are creating new work for the online space. These are available to anyone with an internet connection and the list below represents what the Culture Diary team has found or been notified about. This is an ongoing list.
Please send suggestions to email@example.com for us to consider and add to this list.
Theatre, Dance AND FILM
- Showstopper! The Improvised Musical - following the West End closure, the Showstopper cast and crew live-streamed a performance of their unique improvised musical on Facebook.
- Since U Been Gone - London's Bunker Theatre has had to cancel its Trans Take Over as part of their Power Share season. But you can watch their musical fringe hit Since U Been Gone, about losing loved ones and finding your own voice.
- Bubble - Bubble is a play set entirely on Facebook which uses a cast of European actors who have rehearsed exclusively over Skype and filmed on their own cameras. Theatre Uncut will release the production online on 24 March.
- Rosie Kay’s 5 Soldiers: The Body is the Frontline - This was originally staged in army drill halls around the UK and was filmed for a live stream available here. Performing in close quarters to a score that mixes punk and opera, the horrors of war are expressed through movement and music.
- LIVR - For those of you with access to a smartphone, LIVR is a subscription service that delivers 360-degree virtual reality theatre. They send you a headset which you can connect your smartphone to, and then experience a range of theatre experiences from the comfort of your home.
- Cyprus Avenue - On Friday 27 March, for World Theatre Day the Royal Court will release an of David Ireland’s Cyprus Avenue. The film mixes the drama shot at the Royal Court with location scenes of Belfast.
- The New York Metropolitan Opera - There are free streams each night at 7:30pm EST. They will show an opera performance which will be available for 20 hours after the broadcast. This includes classics like Carmen, La Boheme and Lucia di Lammermoor.
- Stay At Home Festival - The Cosmic Shambles network has organised daily streams for its Stay At Home Festival with appearanced by Paul Ince, Josie Long, Mark Gatiss, Jo Brand, Stephen Merchant and more. Monday 23 March will see excellent songwriter and performer Grace Petrie join in, hopefully performing some of her songs.
- More housebound opera - Operavision gives you the chance to stream opera performances online.
- HOME at home - Manchester's HOME has teamed with MUBI and Curzon to offer its members free and discounted access to films they would usually be showing. Read more on the offers here.
- British Council - Although BFI's annual Flare festival being cancelled is really disappointing, British Council's Five Films For Freedom are now available to view for free. These support worldwide LGBTIQ+ rights.
- Royal Opera House - Now that the ROH is closed, they are streaming past and live broadcasts of performances and other opera-related content for free from its YouTube and Facebook pages. Read more on what's being broadcast here.
- The Wind in the Willows - One for families, this long-running West End show is up here for free. Just regsiter and consider donating to their suggested theatre charities before watching.
- Royal Shakespeare Company - First Encounter is the RSC's way of making Shakespeare accessible for younger audiences. This version of King Lear is available to watch at any time now.
- Gecko - The physical theatre-makers have uploaded a number of shows to their YouTube to watch for free.
- Hampstead Theatre - The North London theatre is currently streaming its 2018 production of 'I and You' on Instagram until 10pm Sunday 29 March.
- Sadler's Wells - Launching their new 'Digital Stage', Sadler's Wells starts their online programme with a premiere of Deluxe by BalletBoyz on Friday 27 March at 7.30pm GMT. More info here.
- National Theatre - From 2 April, National Theatre at Home will broadcast live streams every Thursday at 7pm of previous productions and will be available for 7 days before the next broadcast. Shows for April include One Man, Two Guvnors, Jane Eyre, Treasure Island and Twelfth Night.
- Signal / The Bonfire - Watch artist-driven musical theatre recorded at Signal nights hosted by The Bonfire.
- Cheek by Jowl - Watch the full stream of The Winter's Tale from 2017 right now.
- British Music Embassy Sessions - PRS for Music has gathered UK artists unable to play the cancelled SXSW festival for the British Music Embassy sessions. More info here including links to live performances.
- Frank Turner live at home - performed a Facebook Live stream show with his UK tour supports on 17 March, the day after his remaining dates were cancelled. Streamed from his house, he used the show to fundraiser for his touring crew and support acts (which is still open for donations) who will be without work while he is unable to tour. As of 18 March, he and his dedicated fanbase has raised over £40,000.
- Free Berlin Philharmonic online shows - The Berlin Philharmonic is giving free access to its online Digital Concert Hall for one month.
- Support independent musicians performing at home - Isolate Live is a Facebook page that is organising online streamed concerts from up-and-coming artists with full support bills. Access is free with the option to donate towards the musicians playing. The first show is on Thursday 19 March at 7pm (GMT).
- Defected Virtual house music festival - Defected Records is broadcasting 12 hours of house music for its Defected Virtual Festival on Friday 20 March from 12pm.
- Join the Sofa Singers - an at-home choir you can sing with or enjoy through streaming
- Isolate / Create - A creative project where bands offer digital parts from some of their songs to be reinterpreted by musicians at home. Find the multitrack stems here. Created by heavy maverick art-rock band The Armed, it contains music from Chelsea Wolf, Converge, La Dispute, Pelican, and The Armed with more to come.
Sources: The Guardian, Frank Turner Facebook, PRS for Music